How To Remove Caster Wheels
Mar 12, 2017
Casters wheels can significantly improve the functionality of office chairs. However, with time, these wheels are prone to wear down, resulting in uneven rolling. While individuals may be compelled to replace the entire chair, removing and replacing the caster wheels will hardly take a few minutes of your time.
How To Remove Casters Wheels From Chair
Some casters are secured without a fastener and can be easily removed if you pull hard enough. However, in some instances, you may have to pry the caster to remove it from the chair. To remove caster wheels from your office chair, you will need a flat-head screwdriver and a pry bar. Follow these simple instructions:
- Turn your office or desk chair over so you have access to the wheels.
- Grab on to the chair leg with one hand and grasp the caster wheel with your other hand
- Use force to pull out the wheel with your hand. If it does not budge, bring out your screwdriver.
- Use the screwdriver handle to slowly pry the caster out. Quickly position the nail-pulling end of your pry bar.
- Place the pry bar between the chair leg and caster. Start pushing down on the pry bar handle to quickly pull out the caster wheel.
How To Remove Caster Wheels From A Dining Chair
Dining chairs on wheels may be fun to use for family gatherings but what do you do when your kids won’t stop moving around? Young children may be tempted to use the chairs for play, resulting in injuries and accidents. Rest assured, with a little effort, you can conveniently remove the caster wheels from your dining chair. Follow these simple instructions:
- Spread a thick towel or old blanket on the floor and turn your dining chair upside down.
- Examine the caster wheels and try to determine how they have been installed. If you have wooden chairs, the casters may have been installed using screws. If so, start removing the screws first. If the casters have been attached using stems, continue to the next step.
- Apply a few oil drops on to the caster stem. Allow the oil to seep through where the caster inserts on the chair.
- Use flat-blade screwdriver and slip it between the top of the caster and the chair leg. Gently push down the handle to loosen the caster wheel. This will give you some space between the chair leg and caster to fit in the pry bar.
- Insert the head of a 12-inch pry bar between the chair leg and caster. Start pulling the pry bar away from the chair and use it to pry out the caster stem from the chair. Repeat this step to remove all the caster wheels from the dining chair.
Once the caster wheels have been removed, you can replace them with new ones or purchase glide stems. Glide stems will offer stability to your chairs and protect the floors.
Read more: How To Remove Caster Wheels