Why Polyurethane is a Better Option Compared to Other Materials ?
Jul 23, 2015
Over the years, polyurethane has been replacing several materials in many applications. It is now a preferred option when used in wheels, tires, and several other applications. It acts as a strong base supporting the entire framework of the application. This long lasting material doesn’t require as much maintenance as rubber or plastic.
Hence, the time and money saved on these activities itself is a huge benefit from the customer’s point of view. Polyurethane tires are expected to perform many, often conflicting functions. They must provide comfort, traction, low rolling resistance, and long wear. They are also expected to be lightweight, trouble free, non-marking, easy to install and inexpensive.
While no single tire material, manufacturing process, or design best satisfies every requirement, Polyurethane tires do offer a unique combination of features and benefits well suited to the needs of the end users.
Advantages of Polyurethane Wheels :
Polyurethane when used to manufacture tires provides several key advantages like:
- It is resistant to sunlight, oxygen, ozone, and several other environmental factors.
- It is resistant to damage caused by abrasive chemicals.
- Polyurethane is resistant to cuts and tears making it extremely durable.
- In the same conditions as other materials, polyurethane wears at a slower rate making it more long lasting.
- The material has higher tensile strength allowing it to carry heavier loads.
- Since polyurethane is produced chemically, a number of variations are possible. The density and physical characteristics of the material can be modified according to the end use.
- Polyurethane has excellent elastic memory. The flexibility offered by the material allows it to be used in several applications where plastic will fall short.
Because of all the reasons listed above, polyurethane has become the preferred material in industrial as well as commercial applications. Since polyurethane is more wear resistant, it is much more reliable compared to other materials. The reliability of a product is extremely important in an application, especially when looking at wheels. A malfunction with the wheels would put the entire application at risk. Hence, use of durable and reliable products and materials are extremely important when manufacturing wheels.