Match Wheelchair Wheels with Application Demands in 5 Steps
Mar 11, 2015
The first step to getting the most out of your wheelchair wheel is to choose the correct model and make. To do this effectively, you need to closely match your application requirements with the wheel. Investing some time and effort in this process will help you in purchasing wheels that provide a superb experience. If you are unable to find the perfect fit for your needs, consider designing a brand new product from a customized wheelchair wheel manufacturer.
How to Match Wheelchair Wheels with Application Demands
The following factors should be considered when purchasing a wheelchair wheel:
- Load Consider the weight of the load. Depending on the load, the wheel will have to be chosen. Although, most wheels support weights up to 250 lbs., special wheels can be chosen according to your requirements. In the total weight capacity to be considered, you need to factor in the weight of the wheelchair. This estimate will ensure the wheels can support the entire structure.
- Riding Conditions You will need to consider the floor conditions of your living space as well as the places you frequent. This will help you choose wheels that are compatible with that environment. For example, the wheels chosen for indoor and lawn use will be different from those used in rugged conditions or for sporting activities.
- Rolling Ease Your experience on the wheelchair is largely dependent on the wheel used. You need to choose a wheel that offers the right amount of rolling ease you require.
- Environmental Factors Choosing wheelchair wheels according to the environment conditions in the location you live in will help you get the most out of them. Consider environmental temperatures, presence of moisture, rain, snow, ice, dirt, and other such factors. The wheel should also be resistant to corrosion. Resistance to abrasion caused by cleaning agents is also a factor to consider.
- Wheelchair Compatibility This is the biggest factor to be considered when choosing the wheel. Compatibility with your wheelchair is extremely important. The wheels may be great and the wheelchair model might be good too but it is important to ensure that together they work seamlessly. Integration of the right type of wheels with wheelchairs provides an excellent experience for the user while ensuring a long life of both products.
There is no easy way of selecting wheels or wheelchairs. It is important to consider your personal needs. The above factors serve as a guideline when selecting wheels for your wheelchairs. You can consult with your designer, manufacturer, or supplier and decide on the best solution for your requirements.